- Dr. M is excited to be highlighted in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park scientist profile page!
- Dr. M was pleased to present research on lungless salamanders at the Great Smoky Mountains Science Colloquium in March! Collaborators have been collecting data in the park since 2012!
- Undergraduate and graduate students in the Milanovich Lab, with colleagues from Benedictine University, just received word of our paper acceptance in Journal of Wildlife Diseases! Neat study characterizing the blood chemistry of ornate box turtles.
- Brock Struecker (former MS students) work predicting Midwestern Amphibian distributions under climate and land-use change is now available in Herpetological Conservation and Biology (here)!
- Former undergraduate lab members Daniella DeRose and Andrés Muñoz have just accepted great new positions at the Chicago Botanic Gardens and The Davey Tree Expert Company (Denver, CO), respectively. Congratulations!
- The Milanovich Lab was well represented at the Society for Freshwater Science conference in Raleigh, NC this past May! Armand Cann, Sarah Crites, Andrés Muñoz, and Daniella DeRose all presented their research!
- The Milanovich Lab's new paper examining the foraging ecology of larval anurans, led by former undergraduate student, Milica Radanovic was accepted to Journal of Freshwater Ecology! Great job Milica!
- The Milanovich Lab is proud to announce we (with the Berg Lab) were awarded a grant from the United States Golf Association to examine the response of amphibians and insects to pesticides and nutrients in Midwestern golf courses!
- Congrats to Brock Struecker for the successful defense of his M.S. Thesis!
We also want to welcome Armand Cann, our new M.S. student, who will be investigating Blanding's Turtle
ecology and the legacy effects of captive-breeding in northern Illinois populations!
- Dr. M and former undergraduate student, Milica Radanovic, recently presented their research on Ornate Box Turtles and the effect of plant invasion in creating ecological traps in wetlands at the Joint Meeting for Ichthyologist and Herpetologist in New Orleans. Dr. M also presented his work work with plethodontid salamanders at the Special Highlands Conferences on Plethodontid Salamander Biology in Highlands, NC and his work on Ornate Box Turtles at the annual Box Turtle Symposium in Champaign, IL.
- Our lab had a very successful outing a the Loyola University Chicago Weekend of Excellence! Bonita McKinley, Jennifer Fernandez and Milica Radanovic presented excellent posters and oral presentations! In addition, Dr. M was the recipient of the 2016 Langerbeck Award for Undergraduate Research Mentoring! Keep up the good work!
- Congratulations to new lab members Daniella DeRose and Andrés Munoz for receiving 4 competitive LUROP Fellowships, and to Sarah Crites for accepting a 2016 National Great Rivers Research and Education Center Summer Internship!
- It is with great pleasure to announce the acceptance of lab members Milica Radanovic to a Ph.D. program in Plant Biology at Washington State University and Jennifer Fernandez to a Masters of Arts in Medical Sciences Program at Rush University!
- We were pleased to have the lab's research on Ornate Box Turtles featured in the Herald News!
- Congratulations to Dr. Harden for her recent acceptance of a Assistantship Professorship at Benedictine University in Lisle, IL!
- The Milanovich Lab was well represented at the latest annual meeting of the Society for Freshwater Science: Dr. M and Brock Struecker both presented research on amphibians.
- Congratulations to Stan Warcholek for his recent graduation from LUC! Stan completed an impressive double major of Biology and Biophysics; while conducting research in the lab. He is off to continue his education in Veterinary School at Kansas State University!
- Congratulations to Bonita, Jennifer, Emily and Nojan for receiving funding for the summer and school year from Loyola Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program and the National Great Rivers Research and Education Center Summer Internship Program! Also, congrats to Stan for accepting his invitation to continue his education in Veterinary School at Kansas State University!
- Dr. M was pleased to present seminars for the graduate students and faculty at Northern Illinois University and Eastern Illinois University. Thank you Dr. King and Cyndi for the invitations!
- Congratulations to Dr. Harden on the acceptance and publication of two manuscripts in Physiological and Biochemical Zoology and Journal of Experimental Biology, respectively!
- Dr. M has several new manuscripts accepted for publication; three regarding the stoichiometry of lungless salamanders and one detailing the use of trails to sample for lungless salamander abundance. Coming soon!
- Dr. M was pleased to give a seminar at the University of Wisconsin-Madison Center for Climate Research. Thanks Dr. Dan Vimont for the invitation!
The Milanovich Lab has received funding through the Illinois Wildlife Preservation Fund to continue our work with Ornate Box Turtles. We look forward to learn more about T. ornata in Illinois!
- Dr. Milanovich presented a review of the ecological role of plethodontid salamanders at the Sixth Conference on the Biology of Plethodontid Salamanders in Tulsa, Oklahoma.
- Dr. Milanovich provided comments to several popular press articles about a recent study suggesting salamanders are shrinking as a consequence of climate change.